ASPIRING IS A JOURNEY
ASPIRE TO GREATNESS IS A MINDSET!
Throughout my lifetime, I never recall hearing the term “aspire to greatness,” with respect to what I could be or achieve as a person. I recall using this term for the first time, in February 1999 when I wrote the Director of Continuing Education at Hudson County Community College a “Thank You Letter” for affording me the opportunity to inspire the students to “aspire to greatness” through the professional development training programs I was facilitating. Who knew, what would be birthed 13 years later.
Whenever I observed the word “greatness” being used to describe a person, it was typically associated with famous actors and actresses, the wealthy, a famous doctor who discovered a cure or world-renowned artists and authors, just to name a few. This has left many of us feeling that unless we accomplished something noteworthy, or bore a last name like “Kennedy,” “Rockefeller,” “Hilton,” or “Obama,” that greatness was out of reach. Well, I’m about to make your day…your year…hopefully, completely change your life. I want to give you another perspective on what it means to “ASPIRE TO GREATNESS.”
So, what does “ASPIRE TO GREATNESS” mean to me? Well, first I need to share with you an awesome book called, “The Science of Being Great,” (please download from the FREE Resources section) written by Wallace D. Wattles. Mr. Wattles was known as one of the fathers of the self-improvement movement. He was born in the USA shortly after the civil war, and experienced much failure in his earlier years. Later in life he became a student of various religious beliefs and philosophies of the world including those of Descartes, Spinoza, Leibnitz, Schopenhauer, Hegel, Swedenborg, Emerson, and others. It was through his research, committed study and experimentation that he discovered the truth of New Thought principles and put them into practice in his own life. He began to write books outlining these principles. In his life changing book, “The Science of Being Great,” he said,
“Nothing was ever in any man that is not in you; no man ever had more spiritual or mental power than you can attain, or did greater things than you can accomplish. You can become what you want to be.”
In that moment, I experienced a paradigm shift. What I had believed and had known all of my life, took on a different shape and meaning. It was more than an epiphany, it was a spiritual awakening; and it could not have come at a better time. Let me explain.
While reading this book, I was going through what I call my “greatest Tsunami–to date.” It is important to note that I completely understand that I was simply going through a “transition” and this “experience” was a part of my process. What I affectionately termed my Tsunami, was preparation for fully embracing and walking out my purpose. Now, back to the story…during this phase of transition, I was experiencing an identity crisis (I will discuss in further detail in a future post as I believe this is an epidemic that many are facing today). Everyday, for a long season, I asked myself: “Who am I, really?“,” Why I am here?”, “Will I ever become great?” “Do I still have it?” You see for me, I defined great as how much money I had, my title, my home, my address, becoming a multi-millionaire, becoming a world-renowned motivational speaker, empowerment coach and trainer. Oh, boy, did I miss it. In fact, I missed it big time! True greatness is not measured in mere accomplishments of one’s goal or acquiring worldly status symbols, true greatness is a mindset. It’s a way of being, a way of thinking. In its simplest form is about doing everything in a great way.
Let me further expand on what I believe it means to “ASPIRE TO GREATNESS.” To me, it means:
- walking in a spirit of excellence
- being a person of great integrity and character
- exercising moral and social responsibility
- awakening to your true self
- being authentic
- being self-aware
- living life “consciously”
- showing up for those that need and depend upon you, regardless of how you feel and what is and isn’t happening in your life
- being a servant
- being your brother and sister’s keeper in actions, not just in words
- being true to who you are without compromise
- intentionally and proactively becoming the change you want to see in the world
For the individual that lives to “ASPIRE TO GREATNESS,” every day they awake with a mindset that says:
- Mediocrity is not an option.
- I will make a difference in the world.
- I am pursuing my purpose with passion.
- I will become the change I want to see in the world.
- I will treat people as I want to be treated and not how they treat me.
- The vision for my life will be manifested.
- Today, I am going to be the best person I can be.
- I understand that my life doesn’t belong to me. Therefore, I will show up in the life of everyone who needs me today; regardless of how I feel.
- I will live, do and be on a higher level.
The quote below has become my mantra, my belief. I pray you will embrace this quote as your inward belief, which will change your outward expression of how you LIVE, DO and BE.
“Inherent in every human being is the ability to become great…this means you!”
YES…YOU ARE GREAT! Regardless of your past, life experiences and where you currently find yourself. YOUR PAST DOESN’T HAVE THE POWER TO DEFINE YOU…ONLY YOU DO! Wallace D. Wattles said,
“Man’s brain, body, mind, faculties, and talents are the mere instruments he uses in demonstrating greatness; in themselves they do not make him great. A man may have a large brain and a good mind, strong faculties, and brilliant talents, and yet he is not a great man unless he uses all these in a great way.”
I concur! How about you? Beginning today, use everything you have at your disposable in a great way!
Here are 5 few simple things you can do today to walk in your greatness:
- Make a decision. Everything begins and ends with a decision. Decide that today you will “ASPIRE TO GREATNESS!”
- Embrace Who You Really Are. We are all spiritual beings having a human experience. Every spiritual being possesses greatness within him, which he/she can tap into at any moment.
- Read “The Science of Being Great.” If you have not done so already, download and commit to reading this book within the next 3 days. The book will serve as a great companion and teacher on your journey.
- Subscribe to the Blog. Every journey will require motivation, inspiration, encouragement and energy to stay the course.
- Share. There is power in sharing. Do not underestimate the power of your words and your decree. Your words could very well be what another member in our aspiring community needs to hear to help them on their journey. So, in the comments box below, please share what you will commit to doing over the next 24 hours to start you on your journey to “ASPIRE TO GREATNESS!” Pick any area of your life and making a commitment within the next 24 hours to do something to put you on that path. What will you do over the next 30 days to create the life you want and deserve?
I wish you much success on your journey. Remember, you are not alone; you have an aspiring community behind you.
Have a FANSPIRING day my friend!
Your Sister and Friend